Wednesday, February 24, 2016

COMPLETE: (!!!) Axles & Alloys Gun Buggy

I've finished another model! Another vehicle for Axles & Alloys!

Gun Buggy

Gun Buggy started off as a Hot Wheels "Enforcer" model and as it is one of a few Hot Wheels that come equipped with weapons, one on each side, I didn't need to add any. I did however, add lots of other stuff which I posted about previously.

After priming, I started painting and weathering, starting with brown washes on the wheels, the underside and the bumpers. When the browns settled into the ribs of the tires it just made them look rusty along with the rusty parts instead of mud, so I fixed the tires with Devlan Brown ink and black washes. Elsewhere, I worked the rusty parts up to a layer of orange washes in the bumpers and under the rear fenders, as well as on the wheel spikes. Once I was pleased with the rust, I went back and added steel and mithril highlights to those parts. 

Rust on the bumpers and under the rear fenders. 

I wasn't quite sure what color Gun Buggy would be, eventually deciding on a green as a contrast to Red Racer. I stippled the green on, using Vallejo Intermediate Green, and highlighting that by adding a bit of yellow to the green. I then stippled dark gray on the edges that would see the most damage and wear, followed by a stippled highlight of a lighter gray.



The air intake that I added got some detailed lines with a sharp pencil by free handing in vertical stripes. It then got a crown of mithril silver and the top was painted Intermediate green also.  For added splashes of color, I painted the spotlights on the roof, one yellow and one silver, outlined in black.

Detail showing the rusty wheel spikes and the air intake, as well as the underside. 

Gun Buggy based to match Red Racer.
In Axle & Alloys, vehicles can be equipped with drop weapons such as spike droppers, oil sprayers, minelayers and napalm sprayers. The sprayer mechanism I added could be for oil or napalm, in a convenient refillable canister. For a further splash of color, I painted the canister in bright yellow, inspired by Monsters, Inc and the fact their yellow canisters are tough enough to hold the potent energy found in children's laughter...  mine should be able to contain napalm, I figure...



Rear detail showing dropper apparatus, all set to spray napalm or oil to thwart would-be threats trailing behind. 

For the glass end of the fuel canister, I attempted a painting technique to hint at the fuel inside. It was more difficult to pull off because of the metal framework, but I think it gives a convincing idea that there is a noxious liquid inside. And it was another opportunity to add a bit of color.

Top detail showing a good look at the noxious fuel level in the rear dropper.

Gun Buggy could benefit from some lettering or symbols painted on, and I've considered dusting it overall with some detailing powders to further weather it, but am very happy with it to this point. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment